Saturday, August 01, 2009

"It doesn't matter what suit you wear,'' Phelps said. "It matters how you train.''


WHOA! What a u-turn that is! Can we have our suits back now!

Michael Phelps, in a super-human effort, puts forth a super-human time of 49.82 in the 100-fly, to beat Milorad Cavic who swam a 49.95!

After Phelps was beaten in the 200 free by German swimmer, Paul Biedermann, then after posting a mediocre time in the 4x200 relay, and finally allowing his coach, Bob Bowman, to globalize a middle-school tantrum filled with finger pointing, insults and excuses, I thought Phelps was distracted and quite finished.

So much for "tea leaves."

Phelps one again did the impossible.

Link to Universal Sports coverage of the race: [Link]

Here are two quotes that will outlast this world championships:

Michael Phelps: "It doesn't matter what suit you wear,'' Phelps said. "It matters how you train.''

Bob Bowman: "We've lost all the history of the sport. Does a 10-year-old boy in Baltimore want to break Paul Biedermann's record?" Bowman said. "The sport is in shambles right now and they better do something or they're going to lose their guy who fills these suits." [In reference to Bob Bowman pulling Phelps out of competition]

I respect the spirit and amazing talent of Michael Phelps, but I can't root for him anymore nor support his sponsors.

10 comments:

TedBaker said...

Do not poke the lion!

Michael Phelps is the greatest talent this sport has ever seen and he is one mean sumbitch!

Wonder if Cavic would like to make best 3 out of 5? Or 5 out of 7?

Must say though, props to Cavic for racing his ass off. Just wish he'd shut up about it.

Tony Austin said...

I wish Bowman would shut up

Anonymous said...

Tony.. you are pro suits, yes?? what is your background in the sport? does your blog sites name represent the views of all your swim club... shame if it does for those who do not share your views...i am trying to get my head around some of your postings.. i come on here for a laugh nowadays, the same as when i read craig lords stuff...

i am thinking you may be an armchair critic, quick with the remote or key board and thats about it...

but hey, its a blog, your entitled to your opinion, heck, i read it

Tony Austin said...

I am biased towards speedsuits, I am a masters swimmer, a former Ironman.

My opinions do not represent those of the club I swim for.

Clay Evans and Bonnie Adair, the founders of SCAQ, do not like speedsuits.

SCAQ has a 1,000 members and we swim numerous pools in Southern California.

Unlike Swim News, I accept no fees for what I write, will post no advertising, I accept no no gifts, no food or drink for doing the blog though I have been offered wetsuits, speedsuits, sunscreen, books, subscriptions and I refuse them.

Anything I own swim related, I paid for

AM I an armchair critic? Who knows. Last year the blog got 335,000 unique visits, the page views were something like 1-million. I put in about 3-hours a day on the blog.

Ultimately, I can have any opinion I want since I don't get paid to have one.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tony. Its hard not to root for the underdog (Cavic this time) but that trash talk was ridiculous.

BTW, about the suit issue that Cavic brought up... the word on the deck is that Speedos offer to let their swimmers wear whatever suit they want is a publicity stunt and that wearing another is a breach of contract and that is why nobody (except Dara) wore another suit.

Tony Austin said...

I so believe that... Dara was apologetic and stated what a hard decision it was.

Steve said...

Tancock and Lauterstein also choose not to wear the LZR.

Anonymous said...

oh, of course your biased towards the sits, you cant actually swim as well without them... figures, penny drops,makes sense... keep chipping away at the site, great read... pity the guy writing it doesnt understand the true essence of fast swimming without a suit on...

Tony Austin said...

Then they are my friends! ^_~

Tony Austin said...

anonymous, I guess that shows me.