Friday, December 22, 2006

According to Timed Finals Larsen Jensen wants to be a Navy SEAL. Yes! That Larsen Jensen, the one with the Silver and Gold medals from the 2004 Athens Olympics.

If true, I commend him for his desire to serve our country. However, if the reasons printed over at my very favorite swim blog, Timed Finals, are accurate and this is an actual quotation, and these are the ONLY reasons he wants to serve and protect our country, I would suggest that his parents, friends, and neighbors sit him down and tell him how much they love and appreciate him for I don't feel his reasons for joining are appropriate given the job description of a Navy SEAL.

Here is the quote: “I can’t think of a more honorable profession. And I look forward to using my degree in political science in politics or business. But ultimately what motivates me is making my family, friends and country proud of me. If I do that, and I become someone that they can look up to, then I will never have any regrets.”

His plans are to join post Beijing. Since Larsen has a degree hopefully they will make him an officer rather than a soldier on the ground.

After looking at these swimming requirements at Navy-SEALs-dot-com, I have to say I am underwhelmed by them especially the 2 mile swim with fins expected to be completed in 75 minutes. Larsen won't have any trouble I am sure but I don't think they are looking for swimmers but rather warriors.

PHYSICAL EVOLUTION REQUIRED TIME

FIRST PHASE

50 meter underwater swim PASS/FAIL
Underwater knot tying PASS/FAIL
Drown proofing test PASS/FAIL
Basic Lifesaving test PASS/FAIL
1200 meter pool swim with fins 45 min
1 mile bay swim with fins 50 min
1 mile ocean swim with fins 50 min
1 l/2 mile ocean swim with fins 70 min
2 mile ocean swim with fins 95 min
Obstacle course 15 min
4 mile timed run 32 min

POST HELL WEEK

2000 meter conditioning pool swim without fins Completion
1 1/2 mile night bay swim with fins Completion
2 mile ocean swim with fins 85 min
4 mile timed run 32 min
Obstacle course 13 min

SECOND PHASE

2 mile ocean swim with fins 80 min
4 mile timed run (in boots) 31 min
Obstacle course 10:30
3 I/2 mile ocean swim with fins Completion
5 1/2 mile ocean swim with fins Completion

THIRD PHASE

Obstacle course 10 min
4 mile timed run (in boots) 30 min
14 mile run Completion
2 mile ocean swim with fins 75 min

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Larsen is not going to spill his guts to the media about why he wants to go to BUD/s. It is pretty unfair to assume these are his only reasons. Pretty stupid column.

Anonymous said...

Also stupid to assume SEAL Officers dont go boots on the ground. Jenson is a world class athlete who has been to deal with the media. Obviously hes not going to reveal personal reasons. The whole honorable notion is probably true but just fluff over the other more enamoring aspects of the job. At the time he was still hoping to make the Bejieng team so it wouldnt of gone over well that he was a Republican (joined the party post 08' games) and beleived in killing terrorists.