Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My lunch with Clay - My dinner with Dimitriy

Remember that movie, My Dinner with Andre? Of course not, it was so last millennium. I spent lunch talking with Clay and the conversation was a lot like the movie. Last week he coached me and he told me that when I blogged the workout, I left out the part about the 200s. I don't remember any 200s because only my brain stem was working and rest of my brain was shut down due to oyxgen debt.

Anyway, I blogged that I did a 1:05 on the last 100 free on Sunday and Clay mentioned that he forgot to scold me on Sunday stating I went out on the first lap with out taking a breath whatsoever and consequently on the last lap I was breathing in-and-out like a whoopee cushion in reverse.

He suggested I breathe every fourth stroke when I do a 100 free and don't breathe the last lap. Tonight after a tough IM workout with Dimitriy I did and all-out 100 free at 95% effort breathing every fourth stroke. Despite a small cramp, screwing up a streamline after a turn, and partially breathing like a reverse whoopee cushion on the last lap I did 1:04 . If I was fresh I think I could have broken a minute with a dive.

2 comments:

Trevor said...

"I don't remember any 200s because only my brain stem was working and the rest of my brain was shut down due to oyxgen debt."

That's pretty much the most unpleasant thing I've heard in a long, long time. It doesn't really happen like that... does it?

Tony Austin said...

I am the guy in the lane who everybody yells at when it comes to remembering complex interval schemes and how many sets we have left.

I've gotten a lot better, I can actually count the laps now in a 500 for time.

I think the oxygen and brain stem issue is a problem that only I seem to get.

What's ironic is that I have an amazing memory when I am not blazing back and forth in a pool.