Thursday, March 22, 2007

My WCSN.com subscription is going smoothly. I watched all the open water events without any hassle.

UPDATE: WCSN is "klunky" on a Macintosh running OS X version 10.4.9. I am having annoying problems with pixel depth and an occasional flicker.

The men's 10k race was dramatic. The finish was so close it had to be measured in 100s of seconds. The drama in the men's event was that they swam in a very tight pod, say like a foot away from each other. On turns around the buoys, if you slowed down, the pod swam over you. None of the men ever compromised tempo.

The Russians and the Germans; (Vladimir Dyatchin, Larisa Ilchenko and Thomas), have proven they are brave and strong in open water events. From USA Swimming:
  • Vladimir Dyatchin edged out Germany’s Thomas Lurz by six-hundredths for the world title. Dyatchin finished with a time of 1:55:32.52, while Lurz crossed in 1:55:32.58. Dyatchin’s Russian teammate, Evgeny Drattsev, won the bronze medal in 1:55:47.31. [Link]
The article has some inside stories and quotes from the competitors as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had issues on my Mac but nothing too bad. This weekend will be the test when at home I catch up on water polo from this week.

Tony Austin said...

I really hate Microsoft media player and it looks really bad on my Mac. Also, I have to log in using Safari rather than Firefox.

How about that women's open water race? Did you see those two girls run over that swimmer while she was sucking on a jell pack at the food station? They totally spotted her and did it on purpose.