Tuesday, June 19, 2007

2007 Alcatraz Sharkfest photos

This freighter actually played chicken with the rescue kayakers traveling at around 20 knots in between Alcatraz and Aquatic park. Never try to cross in front of a freighter of any kind; today, these kyakers had no choice. A second group is behind the ship along with a Sheriff on a jet-ski wrangling them out of the way.

I am the wuss on the left in the wetsuit, Anthony is on the right wearing what race founder, Dave Horning, calls the 24/7 suit. ("2tonys" for short.) This group of people we are with are fast! (You all know who you are and we know where you line up. See ya' next year.)

Those two splashes in the middle of the frame are Anthony and I. Note that I am beating him by a body length. ;-) Also note that we are taking the "road less traveled and it made all the difference." Anthony placed 2nd in his division and I placed 14th in mine.

My best friend, Scott Belland took these pictures and I wish he had a Flickr page since he is a brilliant photographer. Alcatraz results page is here: [Link]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a good shot, Tony. I would be wearing a wet suit too. You'll have to tell me your strategy sometime - I've filled out the application for the La Jolla Swim, and I have to figure out a way to swim out of all that chum!