Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Diary of an open water champion at 'Active.com'

John Kenny is a five-time Us Open Water Champ who swims 10k-25k races. He has his eye on the Olympics in Beijing next year and Active.com had him blog some entries about his training and experiences leading up to the 2007 U.S.A Swimming Open Water Championships in Fort Myers Beach, Fla. What I like about the entries is that they are training, nutrition and process related rather than internalized feelings. He is a happy guy as well. Here is a snippet:

    On Saturday, I woke up at 6 a.m., had a quick breakfast, did a final gear check and left for the start, which was scheduled for 8 a.m. Upon arrival, I had my race number applied, along with sunscreen and lubricant. I put on my suit and did an easy 20-minute warmup about a half-hour before the start. With 10 minutes to go, we did the final check-in and entered the water.

    The start line was about 200 yards from the shoreline, so on the way I swam a few fast, short bursts to get my heart rate up. We lined up, the gun sounded and the race was underway. Despite the high level of competition, the pace during the first lap was a little slower than expected. [Link]

No comments: