Sunday, July 22, 2007

Anthony, Eddie, Dave and I qualified for the Pier-to-ier Race - Marcy has a fundraiser coming up!

I met Anthony, Eddie, Dave and Marcy for a fun Pier-to-Pier swim this morning. After the swim we decided to qualify for the Pier-to-Pier race coming up on August 5th. What we found out is that we had to swim 500 meters and be judged by life guard as either worthy or unworthy. So, after filling out the race application and paying $25, we joined a pod of 15 potential entrants and began our qualifying swim. Of course I wanted to humiliate everybody but it appears my friends did too. So, after a moderately fast swim, I came in fourth or fifth behind Anthony, Dave and one or two other hotshots. Needless to say we are all included in the upcoming race but three inexperienced swimmers won't be.

Let's talk abut Marcy!

Marcy, a good swimmer with an exuberant personality and a big heart, founded a charity called Madison's Foundation. A foundation dedicated to. "...improving the quality and quantity of information available to parents of children with rare, life-threatening diseases, and to facilitating effective communication amongst parents, physicians and medical experts." They have a fund raiser coming up on August 8th at the Geffen Playhouse and the play looks pretty swanky! Go check it out: [Link]

If you go, you might win a new car. Do you need a new car? If not, then go to the play directed by Joel Zwick and have fun at the silent auction. You just might win and so will those families that could use a little support.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Good luck with the swim. It looks like it is going to be a fun time!

Tony Austin said...

Thank you Jason but I am going to get my ass handed to me. Anthony and Dave will beat me by 10 or 15 minutes and I predict I will place bottom 50%.

I am doing the race to see where I am on the food chain of superb open water swimmers.

If you see me, please introduce yourself. I would be rather flattered.

Jason said...

I won't be at that meet. The next time I am going on a trip is to Indy for USA Swimming Nationals.

We'll run into each other at some point though.