Monday, July 02, 2007

'Janet Evans' Total Swimming' mini review

I got Janet Evans' book today and I skipped the first chapter which was primarily a swim environment and swim gear section and went right to a burning question I have had, the stroke count.

Finally someone sticks a stake into the heart of the 'low stroke count equals faster swimmer theory' with Janet Evans eloquently stating the following:

"The focus on swim training is often on lowering stroke count to increase speed, and that tactic is solid as long as efficiency is not lost. My stroke count was quite high--about 40 strokes per 50 meters compared with 25 for the larger swimmers--but my strong pull and push underwater and rapid tempo combined to create an efficient stroke that earned me a gold medal against larger swimmers in that 400-meter freestyle race." -- Janet Evans

The book is divided into three sections, Swim Essentials, Workouts and Programs

I attempted to skim through it but I got impetuous and went right to workouts in the back and they kick ass. She divides the level of difficulty into 7 categories, newer swimmers and triathletes are level 1 and fast lane guys are level 6b.

The programs section is very "project management" oriented which is great for someone swimming on their own for a triathlon or as a supplement to a coached workout.

I will review it as I read it and post comments here. Here is a link to buy. (Note: I am not compensated in any way, shape or form by linking to this page.) [Link] Here is a link to a Janet Evans article from Sports Illustrated date 7-22-96 or four days into her last Olympiad [Link]

No comments: