Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Beowulf, the open water swimmer!



When I was in the 7th grade, I saw a book entitled "Beowulf The Warrior." It had a sketchy portrait on the cover of a viking warrior; (think oil paint and Frank Frazetta), with a tight cropping on just half his face.

Now we have this silly movie with Angelina Jolie and my favorite British actor, Ray Winstone, recreating a Hollywood version of it. They also included a major change in how Beowulf tells the story. (I included the above clip to make this post less boring and the original translated version ;-)

Beowulf is the first known work of fiction written in the English, or old English language, and thought to have been written in 1100 AD. It has an amazing open water race in the text as well, complete over the top hyperbole. It makes the open water swimming events at the 2007 FINA World Championships with all those poisonous jellyfish and choppy water look like an episode of SpongeBob Squarepants. The translation is difficult but I found a more modern English explanation here:

"Are you that Beowulf who struggled with Brecca in the broad sea in a swimming contest? The one who, out of pride, risked his life in the deep water though both friends and enemies told you it was too dangerous?

"... Are you the one who hugged the sea, gliding through the boiling waves of the winter's swell? You and Brecca [who] toiled seven nights in the sea, and he, with more strength, overcame you. ..."

Beowulf responds: "Truth to tell, I had more strength but also more hardships in the waves.

He and I were both boys and boasted out of our youth that we two would risk our lives in the sea. and so we did.

With naked swords in hand, to ward off whales, we swam. Brecca could not out-swim me, nor could I out-distance him. And thus we were, for five nights. It was cold weather and the waves surged, driving us apart, and the north wind came like a battle in the night.

Fierce were the waves and the anger of the sea fish stirred. My coat of mail, adorned in gold and locked hard by hand, helped against those foes. A hostile thing drew me to the bottom in its grim grip, but it was granted to me to reach it with my sword's point. The battle storm destroyed that mighty sea beast through my hand.

And on and on evil things threatened me. I served them with my sword as it was right to do. Those wicked things had no joy of the feast, did not sit at the sea's bottom eating my bones. When the morning came my sword had put many to sleep, and even today in that fiord they don't hinder seafarers. ...with my sword I slew nine sea monsters. ..." [Link]

I have to agree with this review that Beowulf comes off as a jerk rather than a hero: [Link]

No comments: