Thursday, November 22, 2007

People want to experience swimming and diving in a new way

In Las Vegas they have Cirque Du Soleil's "O" at the Bellagio, and then there is Dragone's, Le Reve, at the Wynn. Now there is another partially water based performance, called Fuerzabruta at the Daryl Roth Theater in New York City. The New York Times as a writeup on it here: [Link]

From the article: "...Tightly choreographed, with aerial, aquatic, acrobatic and dancing components, “Fuerzabruta” (it means “brute force”) is a largely wordless physical and visual extravaganza inspired in part by Carnaval. It is built around a few major set pieces: a 45-foot clear-bottom tilting pool, hung from the ceiling and only partly filled; flying, building-size Mylar curtains; and the moving treadmill. The 13 men and women in the cast run, fly, swim and dive, strapped in harnesses and occasionally hovering just above the audience, which remains standing for the hourlong show. (The producers would not reveal the cost of Fuerzabruta; a general admission ticket is $70.) ..."

Now, imagine watching a swim meet if the viewing was similar to that of Fuerzabruta?

To the right is a quick and sketchy Photoshop rendering; (I emphasize quick and sketchy), of Dara Torres swimming above the Fuerzabruta crowd.

Since swimming takes place mostly under the water rather than above it, subsequently this rendering represents how I feel swimming should be viewed.

I think people would pay $70 ticket prices to watch swimming this way, especially since the swimmers' bodies would be enlarged due to the magnification of the glass or flexiglass used to hold the water allowing the viewer to see each nuance.

UPDATE: One of our readers is in this performance :-D:

I can't believe you found the show I'm performing in! And I can't believe you posted it on your blog!!!!!

Trev gave me an EXCELLENT LESSON on diving and swimming in Santa Monica right before I left Los Angeles. In fact, I'm using many of the techniques he taught me during the mylar/pool piece. It totally helps!!!

I love that you did a Photoshop version of what it would look like. We're not Dara Torres by any means, but the image idea is totally correct! We "swim" and dance on a mylar surface (its a really thin piece of high tech material). The pool is raised 30 feet and lowered to 7 feet from the floor. [...]



Fuerza Bruta is in a limited run in Union Square.....tickets are being sold through June. There's talk that it might stay longer too ;o)

Check out the website for more info: http://fuerzabrutanyc.com

Rose :o)

2 comments:

Trevor said...

You know that my friend Rose is in that show, right? I gave her a couple of crash courses in swimming for her "role"...

Tony Austin said...

Trev, that is so terrific. I wish I would have known earlier I would have posted sooner. :-D