Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ryan Lochte in the New York Times - 'Will swim for a Playstation 2'

An aspiring rapper he is not, but he is the world record holder in the 200 back. My favorite paragraph in the whole article is this one: "...The summer before his freshman year of college, Lochte posted three top-10 finishes at the United States national championships, including a fourth in the 800-meter freestyle, which stunned his mother. She had promised to buy him a PlayStation 2 if he placed in the 800, believing it was the safest of bets. It was the last time she dared to underestimate him. ..."

This profile is about a man who is exuberant, spontaneous, and dedicated. After his world record 200 backstroke in Sydney, he wanted to get back into the pool and practice harder; “Coach, you just tell me what I need to do to do this in all my events. ...”

The New York Times; considered the "paper of record," has been very good in covering our sport. Go read the article here: [Link]

UPDATE: I owe Ryan Lochte a PlayStation 3 - email me!
Ryan will race Phelps this weekend in the IM events. Hey Ryan, I will give you a PlayStation 3 if you beat Michael Phelps this weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

time to pony up, Tony!!

-Betty-

Anonymous said...

Time to pony up, Tony!
(it's worth it)

-Betty_

MichaelB said...

Pay Up Tony!!

Ryan beats Michael in the 200 IM.

Michael B.

Tony Austin said...

Oh great, now Michael B is on board. ANd I hope Betty isn't Ryan's mom on I am now officially on his radar.

Tony Austin said...

I'm hosed!

[Ryan Lochte truly provided the top performance of the night with a double-dip that included a head-to-head win over Michael Phelps to produce a 200 IM American record, and a victory in the 50 free. ]