Monday, January 21, 2008

'Sports Illustrated' has a solid recap of the 'Toyota Grand Prix of Swimming' at the Belmont Plaza

Here are some quotes that stood out:

Michael Phelps on his goggles getting filled with water after a dive:
"... "I was struggling to see the walls. You have to deal with trying things that come your way," he said. ..." Of course he won. [I thought I was the only person that happened to; now I there are two of us.]

Amanda Beard being quite gracious about finishing third to a 16-year-0ld, Caitlin Leverenz, and Tara Kirk in the 200 breast: "..."I try to keep quiet about the younger kids because I was 14 once, but I definitely feel older. I look over and the 16-year-olds are going, `Woo!' I got a ways to go," Beard said. "Thank goodness, I'm injury-free. ..."

My favorite quote of all by Tara Kirk: "..."It is different training when you're a 20-something than a teenager," she said. "I like racing against these girls. They bring back why I'm doing this, I love swimming."

And how about that Tara Kirk? A very strong win in the 200 breast with a time of 2:07.94!

Then there is local grrrl, Kaitlin Sandeno, who stormed her fourth title in the 400 IM with a time of 4:05.8.

Again, Sports Illustrated did the heavy lifting on this blog post and you should go read the article. [Link]

No comments: