Saturday, March 08, 2008

WMG secret swimming site leaked on College Swimming message board: Is the Wasserman Media Group closing down or rebranding Timed Finals?

It looks like Flowswimming has really struck a nerve with the WMG and they apparently are going to copy Floswimming's style, narrative, and content delivery premise. If you go through the site you will see that they don't get it right. Though the site is "alpha" the editorial is still mostly about the writers themselves rather than their subjects.

These writers are the same people from Timed Finals, hence, I suspect Timed Finals is going to evaporate. What will be interesting is to see what sort of role Scott Goldblatt will have?

Also, why did WMG buy Timed Finals which has an established brand and a devoted following? Now they are starting over with a new name, a new URL and a new engineering platform or content management system?

You would think they would have made an offer for Swimming World instead since when it comes to posting meet results I find it hardly coincidental that Timed Finals publishes the same results a 1/2 hour after Swimming World has.

Here is the new Swim Network alpha: [Link]

Here is College Swimming message board post that it was leaked: [Link]

Sorry, I can't enclosed any screen shots because I am afraid WMG will sue me.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Mel Stewart really is a crap interviewer. That was painful to watch. Someone needs to tell him that it's not about him.

Tony Austin said...

I have to agree. Though he has extraordinary accomplishments in the pool, his writings portray him as a vain smart ass.

His writeup on Thorpe was summarily mean spirited, his "steroid head" comment regarding Dara Torres was all about him instead of Dara Torres and if they took out the words: I, myself, or me out of the English language he would have nothing to talk about.

Anonymous said...

... I myself noticed swimnetworks.com when Scott himself blurbed out it´s name in this post: http://www.timedfinals.com/05032008/the-swimmers-ear-the-video-game-dryland/

was too lazy to dig deeper on it after googs did not show anything about it...

Merritt Johnson Morris said...

I wrote a little post on some of the USA Swimming/Wasserman drama. I am not a fan at all of what USA Swimming is doing. I believe that none of the efforts to popularize swimming will be will successful without friendly competition.