Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Jessica Hardy tested positive! - Both "A" and "B" samples!

When I was at workout tonight, Erik H., told me Jessica Hardy tested positive. As soon I got back I saw a link in my inbox from an anonymous reader linking me to a Swimming World article.

My first reaction was shock/denial, my secondary reaction is that no country has a monopoly on ethics. My third reaction came after I read the Swimming World Piece.

From Swimming World: "...The news comes just a bit too late to be helpful for Lara Jackson, the third-place finisher at Trials in the 50 free, and Tara Kirk, the third-place finisher in the 100 breast. After not making the team originally, the pair would be bypassed for Joyce and Soni. ..."

According to a report at NBCOlympics.com, "both her A and B samples have come back positive." NBCOlympics.com also reports that the tests came from Trials. ..." [Link]

If Jessica Hardy took drugs then the aforementioned swimmers who were clean and honest and who probably worked a major portion of their lives for this goal should be Olympians and sent to Beijing anyway.

Screw this silly rule that they can only pick from available talent. Lara Jackson and Tara Kirk are Olympians and should be sent!

If ever a lawsuit was warranted to get one placed on an Olympic team, this is it!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so hard to believe. Hardy is one of the most delightful and kindest swimmers I have ever met. All that means nothing at this point and evidence means everything.

For now, though, I give her the benefit of doubt. Until I know for sure what the substance was and in what quantities it was detected and if there are any plausible explanations, I will withhold judgment.

Tony Austin said...

One of her "handlers" said that she tested "positive, negative, positive." That as to be clarified and like you said, the substance has to be made known.

Was it an allergy medicine like Sudafed or a Vicks inhaler or was it something way more sketchy?

Glenn said...

Not sure what the substance was, but this is just plain SAD. I agree that Jessica is one of the nicest kids I've met, and giving her the benefit of the doubt as well. However, I think the real blame is going to fall on her support staff, in that they allowed her to put something into her system without supervision. Even if it's a mistake, there are simply too many ramifications that will be lifelong for her to not be overly cautious at this point in her career. I feel horrible for her, for Tara Kirk, and for Lara Jackson.

Tony Austin said...

Newsweek is reposting that it is a stimulant.

USA Swimming and USADA really screwed up here!

They should have had these tests done well before July 21st. so that if there were any positive tests, people like Tara Kirk and Lara would have been able to swim!

I think a lawyer should look at the rules for them.