Monday, August 11, 2008

Illegal turns: I saw three swimmers in the 100 back kick while on their stomachs to the wall during their turn!

I thought you couldn't I checked the FINA rules and you cannot do any forward movement type of work with your legs or arms when making your backstroke turn. If you have a TIVO or a DVR, please review. I have done so 5 times. I saw three swimmers kick into the wall on their stomachs. Is that It is NOT legal? Perisol was one of them. He took two kicks and a dolphin. Seriously!

FINA rule:

SW 6.4: During the turn the shoulders may be turned over the vertical to the breast after which a continuous single arm pull or a continuous simultaneous double arm pull may be used to initiate the turn. Once the body has left the position on the back, any kick or arm pull must be part of the continuous turning action. The swimmer must have returned to the position on the back upon leaving the wall. When executing the turn there must be a touch of the wall with some part of the swimmer’s body. [link]

Rowdy Gaines did not bring this up last night! What sucks is that I just accused the gold medalist of breaking the rules and I can't post a video illustrating it!!! Anybody want to come over to my house and see for themselves on my DVR? ;-)

The New York Times regarding last night's swims:

Less than 10 minutes later, Peirsol threw himself backward in Lane 2, touched the wall on the turn in second place and then took control for good.

His reward for holding off the younger set for another Olympiad was a world record of 52.54 seconds, a significant improvement on the mark he set most recently at the qualifying trials this summer.

Matt Grevers, Peirsol’s towering, 6-foot-8 teammate, took the silver medal in 53.11 seconds: quite an achievement for a man who had had no intention of swimming the 100 backstroke in Beijing when this Olympic season began.

“Hands down the best backstroker ever,” Grevers said of Peirsol, who is just 25 but already in his third Olympics.

“He is a great guy; he gave me some private lessons during our training camp,” Grevers said. “I don’t have the shoulder strength that he does, so I can’t pull the amount of water he does.” [Link]

6 comments:

Scott said...

I agree with your feelings about not being able to see replays of these Olympic events on media other than one's own DVR. I can only hope they'll release the tapes for public use after the Games are over. I'm dying to see if you're right about the extra kicks from Peirsol and others.

Tony Austin said...

I checked it twice this morning with a witness even. HE takes 2 beats during the rotation. He takes 2 beats and dolphin into the wall.

I may film my TV and post it tonight. It's fair use at this point since I am only commenting on a microcosm of the race and I need proof.

Anonymous said...

"Once the body has left the position on the back, any kick or arm pull must be part of the continuous turning action."

wouldnt 2 kicks be a part of the "continuous turning action?"

ive always kicked into the wall, and i believe the dolphin kick is probably just a natural body wave. i do this when i do backstroke turns (my stroke, and have never been DQed).

also, all broadcast can be found on NBC's website.

ps, why are my comments never posted?

Tony Austin said...

anon, I publish all your comments. They all show up.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I noticed that too Tony, but these guys are moving SO FAST, I have to think it's all part of a continuous motion. Whatever the case, they're not calling it for anyone, which leads me to believe it's effectively legal now.

Tony Austin said...

He was DQed in 2004 for that turn but the paper work wasn't turned in in time according to the profile on him last night.

I think we have a situation like Kitajima where it will become legal since it won't be enforced