Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Two separate athletes, three separate countries!


The top photo is of the man, Milorad Cavic, who placed fractions-of-a-second behind Michael Phelps in the 100m fly thus winning the silver medal and nearly denying Michael Phelps his eight gold medals. Though born and raised in the same California city as Disneyland, Milorad Cavic represented Serbia!

Below that photo is, Henry Cejudo, who after winning a gold medal match in wrestling, ran to his coach, grabbed the American flag, and while fighting back tears ran across the ring. Henry's is an Parents are undocumented immigrants* living in the United States. [Link]

[...]

*If are you born in the United States despite the legal origin of your parents, under the American Constitution, you are considered an American citizen. Ooops, again! (Thanks AI)

2 comments:

Amit said...

Cejudo is an American citizen, born in LA.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/olympics/articles/2008/08/19/20080819spt-olywrestle.html

Tony Austin said...

Every time I see an "anonymous" poster making a comment, I get this anxiety pang of, "oh great, what did I screw up now?"

I made so many mistakes on this post, I was just hoping it would go away. I purposely did not mention the "Kosovo is Serbia" T-Shirt; (which I believe got him DQed), because the topic is so hot and confusing to me as are the rest of the Balkans.

Hence I didn't want to get political, but by bringing Mexico, Serbia, America and the Kosovo, what was I thinking? Obviously not not to clearly.