Monday, August 03, 2009

I just sent an interview request to, Jason Rance, the Vice President of Marketing for 'Speedo'


If Mr. Jason Rance agrees, I would like to submit a series of questions to him form all of you regarding speedsuits and FINA.

Hopefully we can get him to agree to pick which ten questions he would like to answer.

I would demand that the questions not be rhetorical statements which is something I would since I am biased, so keep them professional and specific to the topic.

They got to be serious, no softball questions such as: "Is Michael Phelps a nice guy!" More like, "Will you lobby the USMS to allow speedsuits?" - "Why do you feel swimming needs speedsuits rather than briefs?"

They got to be tough and important; I will let you all know if and when he agrees.

Post your questions to Jason as a comment to this post or send me an email. Anonymous email is okay too.

7 comments:

Glenn said...

My question would go along with a thought you brought up in an earlier post, "Why was your company, who has historically led the way in technical advancements in the sport, the only manufacturer to show up at World Championships with no updates to your suits?"

I know that with all the controversy leading up to the games about the suits, many would say it was a smart business decision to not push forward, but they looked silly in Rome and they now have only a handful of World Records still to their credit.

I guess the other question within this line is, "How hard are you going to petition for "asterisks" to be included next to these records?"

Erik said...

Was Michael Phelps obligated to wear a Speedo Suit at Worlds - could he have worn a different suit covering the name of the different company ?

Overall - looking at the last 10 years of having Speedsuits - what has been the impact for Speedo.

Do they actually have any influence over FINA ?

Tony Austin said...

Well, I thought they did but Jason Rance's comments that Speedo wants speedsuits want me to desperately interview him to see.

Lucas said...

How do you thing FINA's decision to ban speedsuits from the sport will impact Speedo's total revenue? Is that impact going to result in a different policy regarding sponsoring athletes?

Tony Austin said...

I don't know. I suspect that if the speedsuit ban holds, only the usual players will be left in the United States: Speedo, TYR and FINIS

Kerry said...

Speedo has been the US market leader as long as I've been in a pool, so it is my personal philosophy that they'll a) sponsor elite athlete with or without speed speedsuits, and b) they make most of their money from regular-folk products like lycra suits, goggles, etc.

With that in mind, I want to know:

What was their 2008 net profit for speed suits vs. all other products? And what is their goal in offering athlete sponsorships - what do they perceive themselves to get out of it?

Tony Austin said...

The swim suit industry is a 13-billion-dollar industry.

I just read at swim news that Speedo gives FINA 1-million-dollars per year.

Speedo is owned by Warnaco who is owned by British company Pentland.

I think Speedo is the Microsoft of the industry but I don't know what they make. Investor relations at Warnaco would.