Monday, August 24, 2009

In just 9-days the "Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim" slated for June 6, 2010 is all ready 25%-full!


Less than ten-days ago I competed in the 17th annual Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim; an event that Envirosports hosts yearly.

800-swimmers-plus compete for a really cheesy plaque and t-shirt and for the past six-of-those-years I have been one of them.

Next year the race will be held on June 6th., and I will once again be swimming it.

If you are thinking of swimming it, sign-up soon, last year the race sold out in three months. Currently it is 25% filled! Yikes!

I don't know why I keep swimming it? I just want to get it right and each and every year I swim that race it is like fighting a different dragon each time which is unlike any open water race I have ever done.

Race info [Link]

4 comments:

Swimming for ME said...

come to Portland Maine and do the Y Peaks Island to Portland race! Same deal only 2.4 miles. Although of course Alcatraz is more epic b/c of the location.

Tony Austin said...

Portland Maine!? Isn't it like 11-months winter there and 1-month lousy ice skating?

I hear it's extraordinarily beautiful there in September and all the fall colors are out-of-register beautiful!

Unknown said...

One year, Tony, I'll be there!

This year I'm going to give the Little Red Lighthouse Swim in NYC a shot ...

Swimming for ME said...

Aww ... come on. It's charming here. He he he... yes it is ugly cold most of the time but July and August are amazing and September packs some good days too. Lots of good challenging ocean swimming locales tho, and NO SHARKS!