Thursday, October 15, 2009

I wrote an editorial for 'Swimming World' "FINA: We have two tribes!"

The "two tribes" metaphor refers to Masters Swimming having two types of swimmers, the elite and recreational. The more "Draconian" the rules for competing become, the fewer swimmers will bother joining or competing.

The photos connected with the article were shot by Mark Savage and feature Erik Hochstein doing a backstroke start and a photo of me gasping for serious O2 during a 200-free.

Here is a snippet from Swimming World:

Then on Sept. 26, Amy Shipley of the Washington Post broke news via source Nancy Ridout declaring that the FINA Masters committee was going to recommend that the same swimsuit rules the FINA Bureau had adopted for international meets should be applied to Masters Swimming worldwide. However, there was a caveat: this decision was only a recommendation and not a ruling. A final ruling would have to be rendered by the FINA Bureau themselves some three months later.

Essentially, the FINA Masters committee "punted."
Within an hour, blogs, message boards, and Facebook pages were on fire with the news; or the lack thereof, summarily stating that nothing had been decided and nothing had been accomplished save for the notion that FINA was being reckless towards the Masters swimming population at large.

[Link]

Now go "show me" and tear into my opinions

6 comments:

TedBaker said...

I thought it was a very well written piece. (I'd expect no less;I enjoy your writing.)

For Masters swimmers, I'd support your proposal.

Tony Austin said...

Thank you, I needed that. I am being hammered in emails.

Scott said...

I'm with Ted here in allowing bodysuits to be used in Masters' competitions. Masters swimming is all about participation and any outright ban will indisputably diminish participation levels. Your suggestion to allow non-FINA complying swimmers to race and receive a time despite disqualification appears fair to everyone concerned. FINA's edicts would be enforced while masters swimming remained open to all. There really doesn't appear to be a downside here.

Contact Mark Savage/SavageWinn said...

Great article, Tony. I say to everybody wear a tech suit if that's your thing. What does it matter if they DQ you? It's just a swim meet. Swim your event, get you time, and most of all, have fun.

Mark Savage

Trev said...

Great piece, Tony.

Doesn't it seem strange, though, to allow a "pro" league to race in a superior technology to the Olympic "elites"? I can't imagine anyone giving any credence to Masters swimmers who break national records after they're Olympic career is done.

Imagine Brendan Hansen retiring, swimming Masters, and then breaking his old records in a tech suit? People will think Masters swimming is a joke; handicapped. Which, of course, it will be.

I understand the argument about participation levels, but is a suit REALLY the determining factor in whether or not someone who loves to swim (and, I hope, compete) to COMPLETELY drop the sport or not? That seems like a drastic to me...

Tony Austin said...

Trev, the biggest thing I learn about writing that editorial is that if you try to compromise with a middle of the road position, you get run over.

The cars on the right and the cars on the left aim for you.

I an not referring to your observations nor the F.U. comments at the Swimming World. I am still rattled by some of the email I got.