Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Darian Townsend beat Michael in a 'blueseventy Nero'


I got a note from a PR person at blueseventy that Darian Townsend, The South African swimmer wore a b70 during one of the heats. The PR people are thrilled. Also, I believe Townsend wore the suit by choice and that he is not a sponsored athlete. Ultimately, that is the best endorsement you could ever ask for.

From CNN International:

"...The 24-year-old American swam a short-course personal best in the 100 meters butterfly of 51.06 seconds in the morning but failed to make the final -- his third failure to progress this week -- while in the evening he was beaten into second place in the men's 200m individual medley by South Africa's Darian Townsend, who set a World Cup best of one minute 51.79 seconds. ..."

[Link]


From The Times Life:

"I went in with the mindset that I was going to race the second seed guy in the first 100 metres and then try pull away from him in the second 100 metres, but when I saw the gap I had on him after 50 metres already, I decided to go for it.

"I was still very shocked to see the time at the end. It goes to show it happens when you least expect.

"The individual medley was almost straight after the 200 freestyle, but I made the most of the time I had between the two events to eat a little and warm down. There was no one close to me in the actual race so I am pleased with the time considering I was alone at the front. It is also nice to dip under the 1:53 barrier again, something I haven't done since the World Cup in Berlin last year."

[Link]



I really think his effort should be talked about some more.

No comments: