Friday, February 26, 2010

Holland Sentinel: Swim team demonstrated the essence of good sportsmanship

For most, middle school is a time of food-chain politics: the boys pick on the weakest, the girls pick on or gossip about the strongest. Not so for this tribe:

"... I was a timer at the team’s first meet of the season, and amid the swarm of boys trying to figure out what event they were swimming I noticed a boy standing quietly next to the block in my lane. Many years ago I was fortunate enough to coach this young man in soccer. He has a soft voice, a great smile and the manners of a true gentleman. However, he is a swimmer, the stopwatch will point out, who has and will have many challenges in life. ..."

[Link]


Read to see what happens but I will give you a hint, it happens every weekend at a US Masters Swimming meet.

No comments: