Monday, February 15, 2010

It's a sad day for professional swimming when a 'garbage man' makes more money than a professional swimmer!

I once made a prediction that when FINA killed off suits, money would exit the sport and I was supremely flattered when Rowdy Gaines left a comment telling me I was 100% correct.

Well, circa February 2010 there are a slew of unemployed swimmers, slashed sponsorship budgets and there is lots of "blood" and "red ink" on the highway.

$75,000 can buy you an 'A-List' swimmer - Same fee as a garbage man but he gets better health care benefits and a 401k! Gets days off too and a paid vacation.

What a mess this is "...To "save" swimming, they may have nearly destroyed it..." A similar circumstance happened to ice skating which is where I stole that wonderful, hyperbolic, quote from:

Frank DeFrord From NPR:

"... Remember the town in Vietnam that, they said, had to be destroyed in order to be saved? Something like that applies very well to figure skating, a sport with a judging system so corrupt that changes had to be made.

Unfortunately, instead of trusting that they could change the judges, they changed the whole system and thereby destroyed the sport's popularity.

[...]

For years, the Olympic figure skating championships were about the only other competition to approach Super Bowl ratings. Figure skating was the tent pole that held up the whole Winter Olympics.

The prime purpose of the new and unimproved scoring system was to better quantify the various elements in a program — required jumps and spins — so that the famously nefarious judges would have less latitude to cheat.

[...]

The other day I asked Johnny Weir, the most lyrical of American skaters, how much time he could really afford to show off his original artistry in a long program. "Ten seconds," he replied straightaway. Ten seconds out of 4 1/2 minutes to express himself, in a sport where expression was as much the glory as axels and Salchows were the power.

[Link]

The above article is a must-read, or better, a must-listen! It is a stark warning for swimming and so far that is not an exageration. Remember Ricky Berens, and Alissa Fillippi all over the Huffington Post? The Speedo LZR in the Window of Saks Fifth Avenue? All that controversy and hype is now gone and so are profits and the attention. Controversy makes money. Maybe suits were not ethical nor moral, but they put swimming on the radar and swimmers in swimsuits.

Wait, I have more: It's official, swimming has now gone back underground!

Speedo once had a stable of 40-swimmers; that stable has been greatly reduced. Many "A-list" swimmers are unsigned today and are very worried about it. Sponsorship rates have crashed as well. To put the economics in perspective, one "A-List" sprinter who swam in the Sydney 2000 Olympics was making a whopping $250,000 a year. (I spoke to a witness who saw the contract.) That price tag is not even a third of what it once was and that is if you are "A-List" female sprinter with a great looks and a charismatic personality.

Only Phelps is making the big bucks.

I spoke with an executive of a suit company who is flabbergasted that FINA's "u-turn" is obviously crushing everyone and they don't seem to care. He credited the USMS for forward thinking and made it clear that the USMS is on their radar for advertising support.

Now it gets surreal: The American Swimming Coaches Association may be trying to figure how they can repackage tech-suits as a "swimming aids" instead of swimsuits? HELLO! Who is the genius that thought that up? Perhaps ASCA needs tech-suit money too?

Here is a link to the ASCA survey that they are sending out to coaches which I suspect is trying to make an argument for keeping suits around in a very silly way. this was sent to me by a swimmer: [Link]

More fallout: I was told Jaked was bought out and will be making competition suits and other swimwear for the Italian market including running shoes as well. Jaked did so well at Word Championships they were now a de facto brand in demand in Italia.

As for TYR, they are going into the "octagon cage" with both USA Swimming and Speedo over this fiasco and every legal expert I have talked to; (three total), said both Speedo and USAS are in trouble and they should settle. Other NGBs are looking at this lawsuit and they are not stoked for this could be scandalous.

Tech-suits may have been a "crime" for they paid bills and grew the sport!

16 comments:

Trev said...

Great post.

daniel kowalski said...

nice read mate, on both counts...

I hope three things

the sport can return to those dizzying heights of just a few years ago. with great racing and great personalities.

I also hope that someday soon, a group of passionate people, who truly love the sport can be in a position to make decisions in the best interest of the sport not themselves... its ok to dream isnt it??

finally,that those athletes on the FINA athletes commission have the BALLS to do what is right and not be scared.. i spent 4 frustrating years on that thing for...NOTHING :(

daniel kowalski said...

nice read mate, on both counts...

I hope three things

the sport can return to those dizzying heights of just a few years ago. with great racing and great personalities.

I also hope that someday soon, a group of passionate people, who truly love the sport can be in a position to make decisions in the best interest of the sport not themselves... its ok to dream isnt it??

finally,that those athletes on the FINA athletes commission have the BALLS to do what is right and not be scared.. i spent 4 frustrating years on that thing for...NOTHING :(

Rowdy Gaines said...

Tony...right on target again...Rowdy

Tony Austin said...

Rowdy, you made my week. I hope FINA corrects before 2012 or soon thereafter.

Anonymous said...

whoa, I don't believe a garbage man earns $75k plus the rest! That's huge and would place them in a top % of wages. Where did you get your figures from?

Tony Austin said...

I lost the link for Los Angeles garbage man, but here is one for New York:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/html/jobs/jobs.shtml

After working 5-years you get over $67k - $8k less than my garbage man Los Anegles link. I will find it and post it. Elite swimmers put in more than 5-years at the office so that is how I worked out the pay.

Lucas said...

Well, the first thing you article tought me was: I should have become a garbage men instead of getting a Master's degree... apparently they are making more money than many professions, including some entry level University professors, and most swim coaches around US!

You do make a great point. I always agreed that the sport would be financially hurt by the ban (although, with Speedo charging over $200.00 for a jammer, I think their profits might be much higher now than last year...). I'm affraid the survey you linked to is not ASCA's, though. I got the e-mail from ASCA, and for what I understood it is actually an independent study conducted by a graduate student. Sure it's feedback will be used, but ASCA's e-mail made it sound like "this is going to be another way to show how the suits were bad because they were changing swimming technique".
To his credit, John Leonard was one of the people that were against the suits from the begining, and not only when the LZR became a crappy suit...

Again, this is a great read though. Good job!

Tony Austin said...

Thank you I am very flattered.

ManuelRdgz said...

Personally I hate the tech suits. I'm old school. Put on a speedo and let your muscles do the swimming, like a real man/woman, not an alien tech suit. Having said that, I also love swimming with a passion and recognize that without the commercial money the sport is going to go in the tank. Something I never want to see. I think this has more of an impact on indoor swimming as opposed to open water, which is coming up nicely. It's a tough dilemma. I hope the best minds get together to work out a "NEW" method for the future not a band aid. Great post, thanks for the info.

Tony Austin said...

Pro league with open water finishes and gambling interests to support the swimmers. - I am working on it. I am building a new swim site to fund it through advertising.

Andy Scherer said...

You definitely hit on some great points, and I absolutely agree with you! The downfall/demise of the tech suit has more than just a world record or fast swimming effect; it also has a marketing factor involved as well.

In my humble opinion, suit companies (along with the entire commercial swimming world) need to start to saddle up the horses again and find ways to truly help out the swimming world, elongate the professional swimming careers, and really help carry the sport of swimming to new heights (instead of living in the past and the "what could have been" statements).

There are plenty of opportunities out there...just look at the largest youth sport in the U.S....USA Swimming!

TedBaker said...

So, if I'm to understand, your position is that even if the suits were not "ethical and moral" - which directly contravenes every idea about the core values of sport - we should bring them back because they were "controversial" and that makes money?

I love this sport and I've been involved with it for 35+ years. I've competed at the elite level, coached, been an official and, now, I'm a swim parent. You're telling me that we have to compromise our ethical standards - and do it knowingly - to promote this sport?

That type of reasoning sickens me. It is against everything I stand for as person. I will fight that kind of direction in this sport that has provided so very much to me to the end of days.

Anonymous said...

Just wondering...are you now censoring posts??

Tony Austin said...

My position is that suits are ethical and moral, but if I am wrong and they are antithetical to moral and ethical principles, well, the result would still come out better than it is now.

Tony Austin said...

You mean comments to the "comments section" of the posts? Only on the Mormon Swimmer post since I am getting more insults than dialog and the LDS sympathizers are summarily degrading both themselves an me personally with their hot rhetoric about my dating habits and athletic ability.