Saturday, February 06, 2010

Redondo Beach Triathlon 2010 - the most fair triathlon swim-wise I could fine!


I have always found that the swim portion of the average triathlon race is so out of balance with the rest of the disciplines that I wondered why they even bothered with having a swim at all? In fact, race directors just keep making the swimming leg shorter and shorter to accommodate those athletes that really can't swim.

I am seeing races featuring 200-meter swims, 12-mile bike rides and 5k runs. That effort ratio between the three events is so asymmetrical that you might as well put the swim as the last leg so that the athletes can use it as a warm down. In fact put the swim event in a pool so lifeguards have better visibility and athletes can cool off in a temperature controlled environment. (I am just pushing buttons here. This paragraph is simply a "Reductio ad Absurdum" rhetoric device or reducing the situation to absurdity to illustrate a point.)

With all that said, I found a triathlon that is not only symmetrical in effort and features a course with great view, it's ultimately a fair race. It also takes place less than an hour from my home witch is another asset. I was willing to travel a few hundred miles to find a fairly balanced triathlon but I can do a fair one in my back yard.

Here is a link for details: [Link]

3 comments:

Merritt Johnson Morris said...

I've done the swim leg of the Redondo Beach Triathlon for a biking/running friend a couple times. It is a nice way to kick off the season. They have nice big, easily spottable buoys too.

ARX said...

It's good to hear that there is a legit race so close to home. Thanks for the tip.

Unknown said...

i know exactly what you're talking about!! Swimming is my strong leg i'm about 15th out of the water and it doesn't even take 5 mins for the rest of the pack to catch me on the bike (i have a really crappy bike lol) because the swim leg is so short. Nice to hear some awareness about this issue. People just need to get in the pool and train.