Friday, September 09, 2011

USA Swimming's Executive Director Chuck Wielgus is quite ill.

I am coming in late on this: Mr. Wielgus apparently survived a bout with colon Cancer in 2007; (which few people survive), and now he is on mend recovering from cancer surgery complications which I hope are nothing more than an inconvenience rather than a scary threat.

This is not the way I want to see Mr Wielgus leave his position as CEO at USA Swimming so I wish him best and his family as well.

From Swimming World:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado, September 9. JUST days before the United States Aquatics Sports Convention is to begin in Jacksonville, Fla., Swimming World has learned that USA Swimming Executive Director Chuck Wielgus is currently on medical leave due to complications from cancer surgery.

More details at the site: [Link]

Now, my opinions which will probably land this swimmer in some hot water and as usual I don't care! You ready? Here they come: Does USA Swimming have a succession plan in place if things go untoward in the next few months or ensuing years for Chuck Wielgus or does USA Swimming even need one? What do they really do each day?

USA Swimming is no Apple, Coca-Cola or General Electric but if a chief executive is ill it is the board of directors responsibility to put in place a succession plan and what better place to work one out but the USA Swimming convention next week.

USA Swimming management and who will be in charge will be a serious issue next week and I suggest those with a vote help effect a smooth transition as we slide in an Olympic year.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, wish Mr. Wielgus the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

android update said...

I have long since learned pool but can not, how to be swimming with a bunch of fast