Superstition or biological in nature, the last four men; (excluding Michael Phelps), to win gold in the 200m Free at an Olympic games were not been able to defend that title in a subsequent Olympics. Will Michael Phelps break that trend?
Here is the list:
4. 1992 - Evgeni Sadovyi, Russian: Dominated both the 200m Free and the 400m Free
3. 1996 - Danyon Loader, New Zealand: Also dominated both the 200m Free and the 400m Free
2. 2000 - Pieter van den Hoogenband, Dutch: Dominated the 200m Free and the 100m Free
1. 2004 - Ian Thorpe, Australian: Dominated the 200m Free and the 400m Free
1. 2008 - Michael Phelps, American: Dominated EVERYTHING!
Phelps and Yannick Agnel own the fastest times in this event if you include the past year.