Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Yahoo Sports: Top Five Ways Swimming is Beneficial to People With Multiple Sclerosis

Jennifer Flaxon, is living with multiple sclerosis. She writes for Yahoo Sports regarding how her swimming has improved her quality of life. 

From Yahoo Sports - Here is my favorite:

Benefit number five: 
My multiple sclerosis has caused me to have balance issues, which is another reason I have turned to swimming three times a week. Swimming allows me to work on my balance, which overtime has started to get better. In 2006, just days before I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, my balance hit its worst peak to date. I was not able to get out of my hospital bed and walk around, or even make it to the shower. After a few days, I was able to graduate to the use of a walker, and later a cane. I vowed to myself that I would regain my balance and see to it that I never had to feel embarrassed like this ever again. 
I asked my doctor what type of exercise would allow me to regain my strength, and he recommended swimming. I have since started back to swimming after a two-year layoff from the sport that I love so much. With my return to the pool I have regained my balance and no longer require the use of a cane on a daily basis. 
[Link]

For more information on what multiple sclerosis is please see this article at Discovery Fit & Health: [Link]

No comments: