Sunday, August 19, 2012

Diana Nyad Cuba to Florida Swim - Uh oh, off course?




Diana Nyad has seemingly hit a rough spot at the time of this posting. I see that she changed course and at one point was heading south rather than north. Later she makes a correction to head north . Still this anomaly is distressing.

The photo above is a close-up of Diana Nyad's GPS Google Map which shows the anomaly. I watched the whole episode unfold and could not get my head around it.

For the most of the swim she has been fighting a westerly current and this current is going to build. However, if she can make it to the half point in the swim, the swell direction will favor her greatly as it changes to the north.

How do I know this? I found an animted current prediction model from the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) which is located here: Scroll down to watch the next 180-hours unfold it: [Link]

I took a screenshot of a single frame and placed it below Diana's map as a reference.

After looking at the NOAA animation I think this is still doable but I would have have been positively sold this could be completed if they had had started the swim 120-miles east of Havana.

Her Twitter Page says the following:
"...At 8pm EDT "all hell broke loose here." Out of nowhere, a squall "blew up very quick." blowing Diana off course ..."

[Link]
 
Think good thoughts.


1 comment:

club administration said...

Very good written story. It will be supportive to anyone who employees it, including myself. Keep up the good work – can’t wait to read more posts.