Sunday, January 28, 2007

Always hydrate before a workout and keep your blood sugar reasonable or you will cramp!

I dived into the Santa Monica College pool today to begin my 4 PM SCAQ workout and as soon as my body was wholly submerged my foot cramped. I hadn't even done a single pull yet or even a kick but my toes and foot felt like the Marquis de Sade was doing acupuncture on it.

Instead of hydrating like I usually do I chose instead to binge all day on a half- gallon of chocolate milk. (so, enough about my problems.) The fact that I didn't stretch, was physically cold, had obviously tweaked blood sugar certainly explains why the cramp-karma kicked in.

What causes cramps?

The exact cause of cramping is still unknown, but there are several factors that are associated with muscle cramps:

  • overexertion
  • failing to stretch adequately before exercise
  • extreme hot or cold
  • dehydration
  • salt imbalances after sweating
  • low blood sugar
My reference is here: [Link]

No comments: