Friday, March 30, 2007

Pieter Van Den Hoogenband: Humble in victory, gracious in defeat

Pieter's take on Michael Phelps' world record in the 200 is amazingly gracious and revealing. He comments about how Phelps has evolved as a swimmer, what it means for Beijing, and it spoken with amazing clarity and honestly with no PR or spin whatsoever. Two quotes from the article:
  • "I was racing against him at Olympics and World Cups and I never lost a race. I was one of the few people on this planet who had never lost a race to Michael Phelps.
  • "I was next to him, I know how fast it was. I was with Ian Thorpe twice when he swam 1.44, but Michael has gone from 1.45 straight to 1.43.
  • "It's fantastic to see what Michael is doing. The sky is the limit."
His comments at Eurosport.com: [Link]
Here is a link to Pieter's english blog [Link]

No comments: