Sunday, April 22, 2007

Regionals 3rd day: I broke a minute

I went a high 59 for the 100 free. I am elated and feel like I can do anything. Erik gave me amazing advice but like an idiot I only followed 50% of it. If I would have followed the rest of his advice, I would have done a 57 or 58 easily.

I decided it would be a really brilliant idea not to breathe for the first lap-and-a-half. By the second 50; to steal a quote form Todd, it felt like I was swimming with a piano on my back with Liberace playing a duet with Fats Domino.

Todd beat beat me in both the 50 and the 100 free but we will rematch at UCLA.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Sounds like you had some great swims! I'll see you at UCLA!

Tony Austin said...

Thank you Joel. Can't wait to meet you at UCLA

Nancy said...

Congrats Tony!

Erik Hochstein said...

Tony -
Keep working at it -- if you are focusing on the 100 Free, try to breathe every 4th stroke in all your sprint work (4th stroke not 4th cycle - you need the air). After a while you won't have to think about it during the race and then you will make a big jump in terms of time.

Also - your reaction in the 100 Free was amazing - we should work a little on the dive - but you were moving before anybody else - a true sprinter...

Tony Austin said...

I am very flattered you posted. I think highly of your advice and your accomplishments in and out of the pool. I am gong to master this to the best of my ability by working on one thing at a time.For not it's breathing. :-)