Monday, August 13, 2007

An article in the 'New York Times' regarding the social politics/economics of bottled H2o

A solid anti bottled-water point of view: "...It takes 1.5 million barrels a year just to make the plastic water bottles Americans use, according to the Earth Policy Institute in Washington, plus countless barrels to transport it from as far as Fiji and refrigerate it...."

A solid pro-bottled water point of view: “...Paul Pentel, a physician in Minneapolis. “We have been trying to steer people away from the liquid candy — juices, pop and everything else,” he added. “From that standpoint, water is good, and I’m very hesitant to demonize bottled water.”

Indeed, some people wonder why environmentalists have singled out bottled water, and not dish detergent or [plastic] Wiffle Ball bats [and other polyvinyl toys]. ..."

This photo was taken from pt harriet's photostream at Flickr.com

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Bottled water. You have hit on a subject I love to talk about! It drives me crazy.

Came out of Costco today behind someone who had at least a hundred 20 OZ (or something in that region) bottles of Perrier. My first thought was about the damage that must be doing to the environment.

My personal preference is to buy the gallon bottles and refill them at my local Albertsons. After about a month I recycle the bottles and buy some new ones to prevent them getting dirty. The weird thing is that whenever I tell someone I do that their reaction is always the same - "I thought only poor people do that" and fail to grasp that there may be reasons other than economic not to consume vast amounts of bottled water!

I also decline to go for bottle water in restaurants. Again people assume it is an economic choice - incorrect. Ice water tastes just fine with a slice of lemon and reduces the amount of waste as I am sure a lot of restaurants don't recycle.

Ahh - got that off my chest!