Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Have non-profit sports governing bodies been seduced by greed?

I actually had a person call me on the phone some months ago from a swanky sports related marketing firm summarily complimenting the blog; I didn't believe them because I am either overly cynical or that I have self esteem issues. Nonetheless, this person asked me a question about what I thought the Wasserman Media Group wanted to do with USA Swimming and I said, "I don't know, you're the marketing ninja, perhaps WMG wants to use USA Swimming athletes as product endorsers and not have to pay them a fee?" What surprised me is that he agreed!

As outrageous, and improbable or even impossible as that sounds, that is exactly what the NCAA is about to do. Here is a snippet from a NPR Marketplace report outlining how this exploitive use of and athlete's image will be accomplished:

" ...ETHAN LINDSEY: The National Collegiate Athletic Association, or NCAA, has strict bylaws banning a school from profiting off a student-athlete's name or image. That's why you'll never see a current college athlete pitching, say, Gatorade. But those rules would change under a proposal currently being discussed by the NCAA. ..." [Link]

That sent me wondering as to what sort of bonuses or commissions would the officers of USA Swimming receive after brokering a marketing deal with a global marketing group such as WMG? The USA Swimming '501c - form 990' would have to list any such commissions. Does anyone know how to request a 501c - 990 form? I know it has to be made available. I will post the form or forms if you tell me how to find it.

(I built the graphic above this morning. I purchased the photo of the swimmer from istockphoto.com and I found the logos and the 100 dollar bill image online.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try http://www.guidestar.org/ You can register for free and get access to some documents including IRS Taxes Filed.

Scott said...

Form 990 is the report filed by Sec.501(c) exempt organizations (i.e. nonprofits) with the IRS. You can simply make a written request for the form from the organization and they have to supply the last three years at a regulated cost per page. I do know these forms are available on the internet though I've never had the need to make an inquiry. I understand National Center for Charitable Statistics and Guidestar (as pointed out by Joel) keep these forms available.

Scott said...

Since you're looking for information related to 2007 operations which will not be out yet you should find out when the 2007 Form 990 will be filed (probably around mid-2008) and make your request at that time.