Sunday, September 14, 2008

I had a video clinic with, Bonnie Adair, the head coach of the LMU Women's swim team!

Swimming is about symmetry and execution. When I saw my stroke today underwater, I realized that every bad habit I have as a swimmer was generally a solution to some other problem I was having.

For instance my left hand enters the water thumb-side, downward, in front of my head. I then point my hand outward so as to scull it over to a line in front of shoulder so I won't tweak my shoulder joint. The sculling ultimately slows down my turnover an wastes time. Why not just land the hand directly in front of the shoulder and start my catch immediately? (Duh!) I was given a good drill to fix that. (Water polo swimming, with the head looking straight ahead only.)

Another problem I have is that I don't hold my streamline position long enough during my dive or off the walls and I am too relaxed. I should be more of a "toned" unit compressing as much space as I can. I also lift my head to soon like "Superman" so as to float to the top quicker. (My dive needs work too.)

Here is something Glenn Mills would like to know, Kara Lynn Joyce's DVD was referenced in regards to rotation, catch and turns. Though my flips are real good, I could lose "mad time" off the walls if I tone it up a bit and compress more. As to what these errors were "solving," the problem my "floppiness" quasi-solved was that I was using my walls as a rest period instead of a power opportunity to do some real work.

I feel if I can implement all these tweaks into my stroke by Spring, My times should madly improved. Perhaps even a silver-painted tin medal at SPMA Regionals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony -

Erik H here -- would love to see a copy of some of the filming if you have it. I know about your streamline - I also think this a matter of strength (core) and flexibility (shoulders). You have gotten a lot better there - so maybe time to really put this into action on EVERY turn.
Not sure about the Free entry - would have to see it under water + slo-mo

Erik

Tony Austin said...

thank you Erik, I very flattered that you read what I wrote. I am going to see if I can get a copy and post it here for everybody to tear into.

I am going to take your advice and do crunches and of course keep stretching.