Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wendy from "Of(f) the Deep End" blog sent us this extraordinary article about a LZR failure at the ParaOlympics

The Commonwealth countries have done very well at these ParaOlympic games. That tells me that they take care of their disabled.

From the Ottawa Citizen: "... She [Valérie Grand'Maison] had to make a frantic "I don't care if they see me naked" suit change in the warmup area 15 minutes before her race when her space-age-material Speedo LZR suit ripped at the back zipper.

She had already given her second suit to teammate Kirby Cote, whose own LZR had ripped moments earlier.

"I had another suit, but it wasn't with me," said Grand'Maison, nearly hyperventilating from the exertion of the race and the stress of the suit change.

She got the third suit from her coach.

"I was freaking out. I just ran screaming at everybody, 'Help me get the suit on.' I had 15 minutes before the race and this suit takes 10 minutes to put on! I was nervous like crazy. The adrenalin was pumping. I was (stripping) off the broken suit as fast as I can. Who cares if everybody sees me naked.

"And the thing with that suit is, if you don't put it on correctly, there is water coming in and it won't come out and you get bloated. Wow!..." [Link]

Valérie Grand'Maison is blind! :-[ Here is an article how she went blind six years ago: [Link]

Here is a link to Wendy's blog: [Link]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the nice shout out Tony! I'm glad you enjoyed the article.

Joe said...

Wow! Talk about a wardrobe malfunction.

Tony Austin said...

You know, the LZR is like a high performance, Italian, racer like a Lamborghini Reventón, or a Ferrari F-60. Loow what it takes to purchase one and keep it working