Monday, August 31, 2009

Roland Schoeman interview: I believe the [training] philosophy in Europe is ahead of the rest of the world.

Roland Schoeman interviewed by the South African website, IOL.com:

How has your life been since the 2008 Beijing Olympics?

RS: It's been great to be home after 10 years. As much as I love it here I will have to spend six months of the year overseas because I believe the philosophy in Europe is ahead of the rest of the world.

I have spoken to the president and head coach of a swim club in Marseille, France. The one where Freddy Bousquet and Fabian Gilot train and think that I will be joining their programme for six months of the year.

[Link]

France is becoming a "Sprint Tank!"

5 comments:

Ahelee said...

Don't forget about Auburn...
We train many of the great sprinters there but the medals tally up under other countries.
At least coaches and most swimmers understand this.
Also UT,CAL and AZ.

Seriously, the sprint tank would be the US college system.
And now USA Swimming is working to hold onto the post grads with their new program. Fullerton.

Tony Austin said...

You are right, Cesar Cielo, Cullen Jones..

You know, I think I coined a word: "Sprint Tank" ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Tony:

Let's not forget about Coach Bottom, and the original program for sprinters at The Race Club!

Tony Austin said...

Of course, how could I forget, Coach Bottom is the Master Po of "swim fu" too.

The Race Club was the original "Sprint Tank" but the French are doing something right: Bernard, Leveaux, Bousquet, Gilot

just a fan said...

The US still rules in the pool (although to be fair, quite a bit of that is down to raw numbers). I don't know if I'm allowed to say things like this but as an example, Bernard's physique looks like PEDs to me. I guess I accept that PEDs is part of sport, if not sanctioned - I just don't know to what extent in swimming - and would love to know because I am curious about this!