Wednesday, September 09, 2009

'Alice in Wonderland' photo-illustrated underwater by Elena Kalis!

My favorite book and my favorite subject matter merged together by Elena Kalis.

In the photo above Alice is poking her head through the looking glass into the alternate reality of 'Wonderland.'

Interviewed by Apostolos Mitsios for Yatzer.com Elena reveals her inspiration for such an ambitious project.

Which are the main difficulties you come up as far as working under water is concerned?

Nothing is working the same way as in the ground. It's like you are in another dimension. But this is why it is so interesting…


What is that people find so amazing about the Alice in Wonderland story and how did you decide to create your own version?

Alice in Wonderland is timeless. It’s open to interpretations and it's up to you to make them. I decided to make it for a few reasons: this is my all time favorite book, my daughter Sacha is the same age as Alice (10) and very good at modeling underwater and, finally, the story itself seems like from some lucid different place...(underwater perhaps ?)

[Link]


Originally spotted at NotCot.org

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post, it is so pleasant and refreshing, another view of the aquatic environment, calming yet curious,,

Tony Austin said...

You are welcome Erik, I dropped everything to post it once I saw the images.

Anonymous said...

The photo looks more like "Alice Through The Looking Glass", which was the better book, in my opinion.

Tony Austin said...

The photos encompass both books. I grabbed the looking glass photo since it was the most dynamic.