Saturday, September 26, 2009

Amy Shipley breaks the bad news first: 'FINA Masters Committee' recommends no tech-suits for masters swimmers!

I'm astonished that I actually belong to this organization via the USMS. >.<

I also want to say that I am more proud than ever to be a SCAQ swimmer. I will simply find events and governing bodies that will allow me to wear what I want.

From Reach for the Wall:

Masters swimming took the first step Saturday toward implementing the same ban on full-length, high-tech suits as at virtually every other level of the sport, but the issue remained far from resolved at the close of a meeting of the masters technical committee for the sport’s world governing body (FINA).

[...]

The decision Saturday by the FINA masters committee to pass the issue back to the FINA Bureau — despite FINA’s apparent unwillingness to deal with it earlier — represented a surprising turn of events for U.S. Masters Swimming officials, who had said they expected a concrete ruling from the committee itself and were prepared to take action based on that ruling.

“We expect them to issue a ruling,” USMS Executive Director Rob Butcher said last week. “What it is going to be is anybody’s guess.”

[Link]


4 comments:

Tony Austin said...

I am going to make the first comment to my own blog post.

I don't get paid for doing this blog. Note that I have no Google ads nor banners. I accept no gifts, services or fees and I have been offered all of the above numerous times.

I do this all for free and I spend about 2-4 hours a day on this blog because I love swimming.

I have given money to coaches for clinics I didn't need just to support the industry, paid for a celebrity photographer to shoot a swim meet so my audience could experience the moment indirectly, I helped raised money for a notable swimmer so they WILL make it to London 2012, and best of all gave money to a swimmer who used the money to move forward and do new and terrific things for swimming at large.

With all this said, If anyone wants to tell me to "shutup an swim" or that they are never going read my M'Fing blog again because of my F-you post to FINA Masters, it's not going to hurt my ego nor my income.

In my estimation my thoughts and feelings on tech suits are both correct and pure. I find it sickening that a cabal of politicians that make large sums of money like ASCA, FINA, Speedo can actually control how we all approached our recreational activities.

Erik said...

Tony - I am with you on this. I think it's a disgrace.

We should talk tomorrow - maybe we can at least let our protest be known...

Dan L said...

Tony,

I agree 100 percent. The ban is really silly and retrograde. I believe that as soon as Speedo catches up with its competitors, the ban will be lifted. In the meanwhile, I am creating my own technical improvement by losing weight.

Dan L

Glenn said...

After 40+ years of swimming, I already know what I swim like in a small suit. Part of the allure of getting back into racing was to see what the suits would do, along with new rules. Now we're seemingly going back to the been there, done that. Just doesn't excite me.

Whatever the rules, I'll continue to coach, and teach within those rules. Doesn't mean I have to like them. :)