Tuesday, November 10, 2009

'Speedo' presents: "The Golden Jammer!"

Kastaway blog with a huge scoop that took my breath away. Rob of RobAquatics sent it to me in an IM and I was completely floored. I was going to copy/paste the the conversation but I dropped to many "f-bombs" [expletives] trying to understand how Speedo; (and it is Speedo who set this price), can actually say with a straight face that their new LZR jammer will sell for $260!

From Kastaway:

The LZR Racer Elite Jammer will retail for $260.00, which is more than the FS-Pro Jammer ($180.00) but less than the original offering of the now-illegal LZR Racer Jammer ($290.00).

[Link]

Response from Rob of RobAquatics: "...If I'm a parent, I'm more pissed about a $260 jammer than I am a $300 B70..."

I think USA Swimming's argument that suits are too expensive for kids and their families just circled the toilet.

Is this not madness? No, this is Speeeeedo!"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I think USA Swimming's argument that suits are too expensive for kids and their families just circled the toilet."


Perhaps if you assume that this will be the only compliant jammer available. The most likely situation is that other manufacturers and Speedo itself will offer far cheaper suits that offer almost indistinguishable performance.

Anonymous said...

Crazy. I dread to think what the mark-up is. Virtual suicide by Speedo if that's true.

Anonymous said...

Speedo's parent company just wrote off $3.6 million dollars because of FINA's ban. Plus, they sign Phelps to a multi million dollar contract. Lots of overhead. Get rid of Phelp's contract and the suits probably go down 35%. With Phelp's performance at Stockholm, I wouldn't be lining up to buy a Speedo!

Contact Mark Savage/SavageWinn said...

All you need is one of these....

SOLID NYLON TRAINING SUIT | Style No: 704020 $21.00 to $28.00

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm just reiterating the post and other comments, I can not believe $260! The blueseventy suit better around $100. When FINA passed the new rules, I was expected suits to be back around $100, not nearly $300!

____________________________________
http://swimscience.blogspot.com/

Tony Austin said...

The woman's 'short john' or 'short jane' is costing WAY LESS than the male brief and it covers more surface area.

Anonymous said...

A women's short john will cost 375,00$
look there
http://www.kastawayswimwear.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=2072

that's utter mockery

Tony Austin said...

A full length b70 cost $380 at the height of it's pricing as Rob pointed out. Nothing has changed economically for parents.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tony:

Getting to swim slower, at almost the same cost...

PRICELESS!!