Friday, May 20, 2011

ALCATRAZ: The TV show! - No matter how much money they pour into it doing the swim itself will be way more exciting!

So, Next month I am doing the Alcatraz Sharkfest swim and this TV trailer will part of my ramp up my emotions for the event by immersing myself in everything Alcatraz.

This series is by the guy who did the TV show,"Lost" - so UFO sort of plot lines will be featured.

And speaking of UFO technology: I'm only marginally prepared to compete at a high level this year so I bought myself a "blueseventy Reaction" for the event. The suit is so boss! I will review it soon but my first impressions are: It is lite, well made, I look good in red!

I have done this Alcatraz swim 5-times and each time I am scared. I use this fear to keep me prepared. I am a very experienced open water swimmer. I have surfed most of my life and competed in dozens of events featuring open water swims such as the Ironman in Kona, and several other races up and down the coast of California. (This is how I placed in my last open water race: Link),

Each year the S.F. bay is a different monster: tides, chop, fog, and of course cold water. It is a short swim 1.25 miles long but it is a swim where you are literally more than 1/2-mile form shore when you get to the middle of the bay and it is that sweet spot in the bay where the tides gab you and spotting is critical.

I get really nervous when I jump into water at Alcatraz but i make sure I am one of the first so my body can adjust to the cold and I can evaluate a race strategy base upon what I am seeing and feeling. I also talk to the kayak support staff asking about how nasty the tide is, the chop in the middle of the bay et.c etc. It is fun swim and a fond memory. I really recommend it for swimmers who need a formidable goal.

3 comments:

Shelly Stewart said...

Good luck Tony! I hope you swim well and have fun~

Tony Austin said...

WOW! I am so flattered you sent a comment. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Dude, good luck on your race! I've never done anything open water, but I've been a surfer for a while now and I have much respect for the ocean.

If you get the chance you should check my blog where I occasionally write about swimming; my team's just started long course training.

http://sirenosmiles.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/the-sacred-lands-of-long-course/