Monday, May 23, 2011

Is ASCA actually incorporated? - The 'Curb Northside ISD' blog say no way!

UPDATE: 5/26/11 9:04 PM: The author of the blog post I link to below this update left a cryptic comment to a follow-up post located here: [Link]
Sarah G said...

I am the author of curbnorthside.blogspot.com. John Leonard has emailed me demanding an immediate retraction. I will do so within 48 hours. I can't do so now because I don't understand most of his letter and I am too distraught. To your readers: ignore my blog and any statements made using my blog as references.

This quote stands out: "...I can't do so now because I don't understand most of his letter and I am too distraught." What did John Leonard's letter state? Did he threaten her with a lawsuit as he did me as noted here: [Link] or did he correct any possible mistakes she made?

For now here are two links regarding ASCA's incorporation or lack thereof:

For info on the ASCA articles of incorporation at the Florida Department of State - Division of Corporations , here is a link that lists ASCA as a "foreign corporation": [Link]

Here is a link to the IOWA Secretary of State stating that ASCA corporation in Iowa is inactive: [Link]

I will email her and find out.

End of Update ---

Remember George block, that weenie who says FINA should be replaced and/or boycotted but replaced with a new organization he is connected with? ...

Sarah sent me a link to her blog making some startling accusations about both George Block and ASCA. I have not taken the time to validate these claims and I have to state emphatically that these are allegations and I have no idea if they are true. Sarah insists that she has done the leg work and she is making her personal opinions, observations and judgments known.

Here is some of the stuff she had to say:
"... In my blog titled Bexar County Funding of Folks Folly Aquatic Center , I mention how often the name George Block surfaces when researching why my children’s school district is spending $7M on a pool that is unsuitable for high school athletes. ..."
On the website, http://www.nisd.net/features/sanac there is a statement

"...Northside's proposal has been endorsed by the national governing body for the sport of swimming, USA Swimming, which has promised the venue a minimum of five events per year."
I checked with Carol Birch at USA Swimming. Their organization does not guarantee any events. All organizations must bid on events


It appears that Sarah was on a roll with George and decided to look into ASCA as well. Now this allegation from a second post is explosive. In fact is profoundly explosive. I do emphasize that this is an allegation only but if true, ASCA has some paper work to do and that may include Form 990's and some tax stuff.

"... As I look closer at this, I learn that a more ubiquitous name in swimming is John Leonard. Many organizations fall under the American Swimming Coaches Association (ASCA), with John Leonard as Executive Director, and George Block as an officer.

ASCA is listed as a foreign corporation in Florida. Foreign, in corporation lingo, means not incorporated in the state. I originally had images of a corporation concealing their finances in Grand Cayman. It turns out John Leonard and George Block have an even better deal. Their annual reports to Florida state they are incorporated in Iowa. I checked the Iowa department of state. John Leonard registered in Iowa in 1968 but was terminated in 1992 for failure to file reports.

ASCA is not a legitimate corporation so there is no government oversight into their finances. It is not registered as an assumed name in Bexar County, and it is unlikely to be registered in any county.

This is a fictitious entity.

I confirmed ASCA status on Iowa's website and verbally with the Iowa department of state. ASCA, SwimAmerica, WSA, and possibly several other business entities seem to be doing business fraudulently.

[Link]

If what Sarah states is true, I am suggesting that the IRS get involved. Sick em, Sarah!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

United States Masters Swimming is also a "foreign non profit corporation" in Florida. I think you need to do a bit of research before you jump to conclusions, as usual.

Tony Austin said...

First off, I know who you are and I don't like you. Second, I called them allegations but ironically enough the so called "foreign corporation" that you mention; (ie ASCA), is not acknowledged by it's home state of Iowa. so RTFAs she posted before you hurl insults at me.

As for the USMS. The article is not about the USMS it is about whether ASCA is a real corporation - Sarah raised several interesting points that even noted journalists are curious about now. read as paid swim journalists.

Next, You have my permission not to read my blog anymore since you have nothing to contribute.

Glenn said...

Too funny. I still can't believe in this day and age people still don't have the guts to comment without posting their names. Anonymous... man up and stand in front of your words.

Simply amazes me. People are such children.

And I have no idea who you are, and until you post your name... anything written by Anon leads me to believe it's someone with something else to hide. I'll always read those posts as if written by someone with an agenda, and Tony has struck a nerve.

billyswims said...

990's are available on-line at the Foundation Center website. documents seem to have been filed with the FL secretary of state in a timely fashion. Not sure about the legal implications of the inactive status of the IA corporation (since I am not a lawyer). after reading the entirety of the Curb Northside ISD blog posts, it is appears to be a fiscal conservative looking to stop the construction of a new aquatic facility and get rid of a superintendent of schools. Again, I don't know enough about the local politics to provide full judgement. as a swimming person I generally support the idea of more pools. It seems to me to be a lot of mudslinging at Coach Block who, to my knowledge, is a very well-respected figure in the San Antonio area.
Reminds of the mudslinging on swimscandal by a banned coach who is trying to get back at those who caught him cheating and lying.

Tony Austin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony Austin said...

She put her name out there and included references. The person you mentioned took a different approach - I understand she is going to add more references as well and she is researching IRS issues.

Also, George Block is the guy who said we should replace FINA. That is not a "well respected" thing to do in the swim community at large albeit in San Antonio or elsewhere.

I too am all for new pools everywhere. If malfeasance is involved, then any pool project submitted in this fashion must not be supported. Let's see if this appears to be the case.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said:
"United States Masters Swimming is also a "foreign non profit corporation" in Florida. I think you need to do a bit of research before you jump to conclusions, as usual."


Tony said: "First off, I know who you are and I don't like you. Second, I called them allegations but ironically enough the so called "foreign corporation" that you mention; (ie ASCA), is not acknowledged by it's home state of Iowa. so RTFAs she posted before you hurl insults at me. "

Swimmer Antony says: Tony, your blog is contributing to a good cause but relax. There were no insults hurled at you. Calm down, check your facts and keep digging for the truth.