Wednesday, August 08, 2012

NPR covering the Rick Curl Sex abuse case - Interviews the victim!

NPR is now covering USA Swimming sex abuse issues. I would have to say that the content therein may be deemed NC 17 or uncomfortable for some adults.

When you finish the article or listen to the story, ask yourself how this is any different that the Penn State sex abuse crime. Personally I think it's different. I think it's worse; more victims, more pedophiles.

From NPR: 
"[NPR]...MARTIN: Why did you decide to speak out now?

CURRAN: Well, it was an accumulation of things, really. You know, I have a daughter that is 12 and a half and what has gone on with the Penn State issue coming out, that has certainly played a part in this, but it really got kind of mixed up or stirred up for me and it was right after the 20/20 investigation. I think that was about two years ago.

You know, I was at my kids' Lacrosse game and I had - it was a Friday night and I had people from both sides of the country calling me and asking, are you watching this? And I said, no. And, of course, I went home and watched online the story and...

MARTIN:   An investigation of U.S.A. Swimming. Why were they asking you this? I mean, did they suspect that you had some connection to this story or is it just because they knew you were a swimmer?

CURRAN: Oh, no. They knew. They knew. I can not tell you the number of people that have come forward and said, you know, we're sorry. Not just in the last, you know, week, but over the last 20 years, I've had - or the last 10 years, I've had - through different social media outlets, I've had people come forward and say, you know, I feel horrible about this. I couldn't do anything. I didn't know what to do. And these were mostly, you know, teammates and, you know, peers. It wasn't - I have never received a message like that from a coach or anything, but they knew. ..." 
[Link]

No comments: