Monday, March 25, 2013

Remarkable Footage of Open Water Swimmers Going Off Course!



What Adam has proven is that by swimming in a straight line in an open water swim, which is not easy to do, you can eliminate 100s-of-meters worth of useless meandering off your swim. Adam young illustrates this using a motion tracking option in Adobe Premiere CS 6 to follow the path a few selected swimmers take to reach the shore. It would not be hyperbole to suggest that these swimmers swam nearly double or more the distance to finish their race.

What I am taking away from this video is a decision to calculate how I often I need to spot to swim in a straight line. I usually go 15-30-strokes before spotting. That may be too many.

1 comment:

Serrago's Swimmers said...

Ha! Dead on. If you need help with open water swim techniques I can help, visit my site www.facebook.com/serragosswimmers